Nomenclature of Simple Binary Compounds-Formulas to NamesThis is a
basic exercise in naming simple binary compounds. Since its effective use
requires analysis of text input there are some basic rules:
- This page does not contain any transition elements and,thus, Stock
notation is not used.
- Spelling matters very much. No effort has been made to analyze input
against possible spelling errors. There is a button below which can be pushed
to display the spelling of all polyatomic ions used on this page.
- Capitalization does not matter, the page can adjust for improper
- All compounds on this page can be viewed as simple binary compounds.
- For those combinations for which prefixes are not needed,e.g.
CaCl2, their use will result in an error.
Operation:1. Pressing "Display Spellings" will open a window containing
the spellings used for the polyatomic ions on this page. The user should refer
to periodic tables or other sources for spelling of elements.
"New Compound" causes a small window to appear with a formula, an empty cell and
a "Check Answer" button.
3. Enter the name of the compound in the cell.
Press "Check Answer."
5. Detailed results and score appear in the table on
the top page.
6. If you get all or part of the name incorrect, you may go
back and correct your answer and resubmit it.
- If you miss a problem three times, pressing "Show Answer" will cause the
correct answer to appear.
This page was developed by Prof George
Wiger of California
State University, Dominguez Hills campus.