Unit 5 CLC Projectss
Acids, Bases, and Molarity
Purpose: To determine if acids and bases have any effect on the
rate of spoiling of apples and bananas.
- Obtain 5 pieces of red and 5 pieces of blue litmus paper from
- Cut up an apple and banana into 6 slices.
- Dip one piece into each of the following: lemon juice, vinegar,
household ammonia, and FruitFresh.
- Crush a Vitamin C tablet in a baggie and rub one piece of each
fruit in it.
- Use the sixth piece as the control for this experiment.
- Let all slices sit for 2 hours. Record the results in a data
table, then throw out the fruit.
- Use litmus paper to determine whether each is an acid or a base:
C, lemon juice, vinegar, household ammonia, and FruitFresh.
observations and conclusions in a data table. Tape the litmus
to your lab results paper.
- Include an introduction section where you summarize what you
testing, state your hypothesis; and identify your control group,
variable, and dependent variable.
- In the results section, include data tables to summarize your
results and observations.
- Conclude with a discussion section where you discuss your results
answer the purpose question of this lab. Explain how FruitFresh
and evaluate if it is worth the money – be specific showing
for this analysis.